venerdì 27 febbraio 2009

I present to you...TIN!


Photos: 1&2. Maasai spear throwing/Kenya's Next Top Model-esque photo shoot. 3. On top of Observation Hill in Amboseli National Park.

I don't think I have ever woken up so freaked out before. At 2:00 am I awoke to an elephant trumpeting. At first I couldn't tell if it was my malaria pills messing with me, but then I continued to hear shouting (from our askaris and probably neighbors) and dogs barking. Lights from presumably flashlights kept shining into my banda, like how floodlights from cars flash across your window at night. Except at night here, the only sounds are usually night bugs and animals and the only lights are from the moon and stars. Apparently, an elephant was right outside our fence. Animals try to come into our camp frequently because, since it is fenced off, there are no effects of grazing and thus lots of forage. Maybe a week or two ago a few elands managed to break down our fence at night. Previously I had heard a few times people banging pots and such in the distance to scare away elephants. But this time it was really close. I really thought the elephant was inside our camp and I was just waiting for it to bust down my banda walls. Luckily, we have askari (guards) who do an EXCELLENT job at keeping us safe, and the elephant(s?) never made it past our gate. I was still scared though, very spooked out. It's interesting how in the states we view elephants as these majestic animals, but here they are a threat. I have spoken to farmers who said that because elephants destroyed their crops, they cannot afford to send their children to school, let alone live comfortably. Although they are endangered throughout Africa, they have become over protected. With changes in land-use practices by the local people, conflicts with the wildlife worsen. This is something we have been studying a lot in our classes, it is an extremely complex issue.

On a lighter note, we went to Amboseli again on Wednesday to have a "tourist" day. We went to a cultural boma, which is a Maasai homestead that gives tours. Having seen our neighbor's boma and learned more about Maasai culture, we had a long-winded discussion on authenticity and culture. Again, another very complicated issue. Afterwards, to be like true tourists, we went to another lodge in Amboseli and ate at the buffet. All you can eat for 1200 ksh (about $16). It was more than you expect to pay for things here, but it was soo worth it. I ate four plates of food. There was a variety of cheese and deserts and Indian dishes. I even got a glass of water with ICE. It was so decadent but mmmmm worth it! Then we went swimming at the lodge, followed by a short game drive out of the park. It was a strange day because we don't really do the tourist things here, but it was nice to do it just once...

We also recently got Maasai spears. They actually came in about a week ago, but our Swahili teacher just taught us how to throw them. Perhaps you are unaware, but I'm pretty spastic and, in general, I throw "like a girl." So give me a spear that is taller than me and is insanely sharp and I freak out. After a few throws, however, I shed my fears and would throw my spear bravely and proudly. Fyi, a Maasai can kill an elephant, lion, you name it, with one throw of their spears. Hardcore. We also got Maasai swords. I'm so dangerous!

Today I was MOD, mwanafunzi (student) of the day. It's not as cool as it sounds. It's not an award rather an assignment. By alphabetical order, we all have to do it. MOD duties are turning the solar panels throughout the day (which the staff tends to do), ringing the bell before class/meals/meetings/anything, and giving RAP after dinner. RAP stands for reflections, announcements, and presentation. After announcements are made, the MOD either gives a reflection (poem, game, discussion, etc.) or some kind of presentation that pertains to Africa, the environment, or whatever. I gave my presentation on couchsurfing.com today. It's usually fun and interesting, but the whole RAP business isn't really my kind of thing...

Now that we have been here for a few weeks, we have reach a level of being very comfortable with each other and needing to find our own entertainment. The greatest example of this is "Tin." Tin is a band consisting of two guys who play their tin plates by the washbasins after dinner. I'm the founder and manager. We just held auditions for back-up dancers. The competition was tough as there is apparently a lot of talent in the greater Kimana region. There were a lot of dreams fulfilled and crushed when we posted the results. Tin is a really big deal here at KBC.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento